Tuesday, August 7, 2018

The Unavoidable Truth of Writing...

What I Learned About Writing on a Trip to China...

The Obvious, Unavoidable Truth.

We need each other.


I recently traveled to China to co-teach at a novel writing conference. Before you make assumptions about me, I should tell you this was not only my first time teaching on writing, but my first time attending a writing conference of any kind, as well as my first time spending time in person with other serious writers.

Daunting, to say the least.

It isn't that I haven't wanted those things. But my writing life, and life as an author that soon followed, blossomed during my time living abroad in Japan. (Where I still live...) It has, until now, been a very secluded experience. I don't despise that. In fact, I'm grateful. There's a certain tenacity you develop when you feel like you're going it alone. 

But that season needed to end for me. I needed like-minded people in my life.

This was the great lesson I learned on my trip. You see, I thought I was going strong on my own, and maybe I was. I've self-published, self-edited, self-formatted, self-cover designed, and self-motivated for the last three years. Apart from (amazing) beta readers and encouraging family members, I was wading through publishing in many ways alone. Somehow, by grace, I didn't sink. Somehow, my books have found their readers, and I did not faint. 

But I would not go back to that seclusion. 

In spending time with other writers and book obsessives, I found new inspiration and courage. Being around like-minded people is powerfully motivating. You share the same thought processes, similar dreams and aspirations. You may share the same strengths and weaknesses. You may be opposites, and in that case able to help each other. 

You cannot learn new things from yourself. 

At some point, your knowledge runs dry. You need help. You need new ideas or techniques. There is so much to gain from making time to connect with other writers...and nothing to lose. 

So my advice to you, whether you are a writer, a health enthusiast, a designer, a mother, an artist, an athlete...

Get around people who share your interests. Get out of your head, out of your bubble, and find inspiration in others. 

I believe in you.
Always,
Laura Fran

No comments:

Post a Comment