Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Tell the Truth...

My favorite element of story telling is character creation. 

But if I were to be honest, I don't spend much time creating profiles before I start. Occasionally I'll fill in a character interview if I'm wanting to get deeper into their minds for a reason, but the majority of my writing comes instinctively. 

I'm what's called a PANTSER, and it is incurable for me. 

I love the thrill of discovering my characters during the writing process. I love the mystery going in, wondering who they'll be and what's buried deep inside them. Because, as we know, strong characters MUST be complex and real. I may be a seat-of-your-pants-er, but I still agree that characters should be well fleshed out. 

There are many elements that make up a STRONG character. Here are a couple:

1.) Strong characters are CONSISTENT. Their behavior, reactions, responses, etc should be consistent with the personality you've assigned them. Unless, of course, they're behaving out of character for a specific purpose in the plot of the story. 

2.) Strong characters DESIRE something. That want or NEED creates tension and conflict within the story...which we eat up like candy. They should have an inner need and an outer need. Frodo's outer need is to destroy the ring. His inner need, which is not always clear to the character, is more complicated. Frodo needs to learn the value in companionship. He also needs to learn courage and perseverance. (There are so many powerful characters in LOTR and many needs intertwined together. Brilliant.) 

But the thing I've learned, and what matters most to me when writing characters, is that they should always, in every instance, be HONEST. 


It's so easy to write to please. It's something most fiction writers wrestle with at some point. It's also tempting to write to trends. And, well, maybe there is a place for that. We're all writing for our own reasons. For some, it's a way to make money. For others, it's a way to make change. Some just want to inspire. While others would like a little bit of everything. It's ALL good.

But if you want to write a story with a deep impact on the reader, you must let your characters speak from their hearts, no matter how noble or wicked, complicated or well-balanced. Let your characters tell the truth, and don't sensor them to keep readers happy.

This is not permission to be recklessly offensive. Be wise and know the difference. 

But raw, uninhibited characters allow for readers to EXPERIENCE the story, rather than just be told one. These are the books we devour. 

I'll leave you with this quote that I LOVE:



Keep writing and tell us the truth! 
I believe in you. 
Always, 
Laura 




No comments:

Post a Comment